Rob Jones Memorial Scholarship
Deadline: Tuesday, April 23, 2021 at 3:00 PM
THE ROB JONES SCHOLARSHIP – 2021
(A $2,000.00 Scholarship)
The Rob Jones Memorial Scholarship was established in 2015 as a one-year scholarship for a senior at Rosemont High School.
Rob Jones was the first principal of Rosemont High School. Mr. Jones spent the majority of his career in education in the Sacramento City Unified School District. He began his teaching career in 1977 at Sacramento High School as a PE and Social Science teacher. In 1985, Mr. Jones obtained his master’s in administration from Chapman College in order to fulfill his dream of becoming a principal. His first job as an administrator was at John F. Kennedy High School in 1988. From 2001-2003, Mr. Jones was instrumental in the planning and development of Rosemont High School, the first high school to open in SCUSD in over 35 years. Mr. Jones spent his last years prior to retirement as Rosemont’s first principal. Upon retirement, the district and staff honored him by dedicating and naming the sports complex after him.
Mr. Jones was an avid supporter of children’s education. He believed that school was a job and wanted to do anything in his power to support and enable children to do their job. This scholarship was created in his honor to help students “do their job” and excel in education.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE:
The Rob Jones Memorial Scholarship shall be awarded to a senior student at Rosemont High School who exhibits the following attributes:
- Honesty Sportsmanship
- Integrity Perseverance
- Academic Achievement Leadership
The applicant’s high transcript must show an overall GPA of 2.5 or higher: nothing below a “C” in a high school where 4.0 is the top grade.
Applicant must select an accredited college to continue his/her education and must carry a minimum class load of 9 credits per academic period (semester or quarter).
DUE DATE: Friday, April 23, 2021 at 300 PM
Applications must be received no later than, Friday, April 23, 2021 at 300 PM. All letters of recommendation are to be opened and stapled with the packet. Packets can be dropped off to:
Pam Reeder-Esparza, Counselor
Rosemont High School
(Suggestion: Use this list as a final check-off before submitting the application packet).
- Student’s Application: (please print clearly)
- Name, address, phone number, email, and Student ID number.
- Student shall list first, second, and third college choices.
- Financial information must include: Father’s/Guardian’s name, occupation and yearly income, length of time in that occupation; Mother’s/Guardian’s name, occupation and yearly income, and length of time in that occupation.
- Student shall list names, ages, schools or occupations of other family dependents if they are living with the family.
- Student must list the approximate amount parents can contribute to your college education each year.
- Student must show the amount saved by the student towards college, as well as other scholarships or grants applied for or received.
Individual Student Profile:
Complete all five areas listed. Attach a separate sheet if more space is needed.
- Three Letters of Recommendation: (Letters must be opened and stapled with packet.)
- One from a teacher or administrator at the student’s high school; and
- Two letters from outside the school, i.e. employer, pastor, youth leader, or community leader.
- Student Essay: (750 words or less and TYPED)
- Describe your educational and vocational goals (short-term and long-term).
- How you plan to use the scholarship funds.
- An unofficial transcript of student’s high school record, including the first semester of your senior year.
SELECTION PROCESS: Applications are screened and selected by the Rob Jones Memorial Golf Tournament Committee.
NOTIFICATION OF WINNERS: Scholarship winners will be announced at the Rosemont High School award assembly.